disk target mode

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Phillie14586, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Phillie14586 macrumors member

:confused: I need to transfer data from my G4 MDD to my new MacPro. I had the MacPro booted then started the G4 with the T key held down. I confirmed it is in target mode. I have the two computers connected via firewire800. I know both ports work since I connected an external drive to each with the firewire800 cable I am using and both computers would see it. My problem is the G4 does not show up on the MacPro. I looked in system profiler and it does not show anything on the firewire bus.

2. MacPro.dB macrumors newbie

Migration Assistant?

Have you tried running the Migration Assistant and going through the steps in it?

3. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

Can't do anything until I can get the two computers to talk to each other. I can connect them via eithernet but one volume lists 17hrs to transfer and the other 7hrs. These are my raw photo volumes and some imovie projects. If I have to I will let it run overnight but I was hoping the firewire thing would be faster.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

have you thought about pulling the HDD out of the G4 and sticking it in the new machine?

If it's SATA, it will fit right in one of the drive trays.
    If it's IDE, then you can buy an IDE to USB converter and then use it as an external USB drive.

That's what i've done in the past.

5. rtrt, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  6. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

It is an IDE drive or I would have just stuck it in the new computer. The G4 has FW400/800. Since I only have one network cable pulled to where the computers are the new computer is connected wireless. The router is an old Belkin so I am sure its wireless protocols are not that fast. I wish I could get it to work with the FW800 and see if it was faster.