Disk upgrade - 5400 to 7200rpm - battery loss?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by operte, Aug 27, 2009.

1. operte macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I am thinking of upgrading my macbook pro 13'''s disk for a 7200rpm. From what I've heard, the overall speed of the computer increases a lot and I like the higher responsiveness that a disk with a higher rotation velocity gives you.

My doubts are only related to battery life. Certainly, the 7200rpm disk will consume more energy but how much? Could you give me comments from your experience? Do you lose a noticeable ammount of battery life when upgrading to a 7200rpm disk?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get WD's Scorpio Blue. It's 5400rpm drive, but performs as fast as most 7200rpm without heat, battery or vibration issues. If you want ultimately fast, get SSD

3. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I've been reading about this fear of people taking the leap into a 7200 rpm. HDD. Some say they have a concern of a battery issue or over heating.

I find neither to a real problem. I've been using a 7200 WD Scorpion black in a white Macbook 2.13 for some time before I sold it & upgraded to the MBP 13" which I have installed a SSD into only because I plan on keeping it. When I did the install I did hear the drive spinning but it stopped and even that was not loud, otherwise what I did get was a great speed improvement & 320 GB in size minus the little the drive uses when I did the install. Some people do complain of vibration, nothing you can't live with.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

No battery problems here with a 320gb Scorpio Black in my 13" Macbook Pro. Runs incredibly quick! It does vibrate but I treat it like it's a happy sports car :)

5. operte thread starter macrumors newbie

Do all the 7200rpm disks have a noticeable amount of vibration? :\

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

not really [​IMG] if you had a 5400 anda 7200 on your lap then yeah you would know which was which but when its all in a laptop and a week or 2 later, it isnt noticable but it is a hella lot faster