Disk utility alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Apr 21, 2014.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to have alternative applications for doing the tasks that Disk utility does.
    Repair permissions, verifications, erasing etc.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's wrong with using Disk Utility? Things like permissions repair shouldn't be done frequently, anyway.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

SuperDuper is useful for backups, but I wouldn't really trust a non-Apple app to diagnose or treat a computer Apple made. To me, logically, Apple would know their own computers better than anyone else... Plus it's a stock app, so it's "free". Usually I'd ditch most stock apps in general, but for something like your own system, I can make an exception.

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ι have this problem described here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1660392

Disk utility tells me it cannot fix permissions.
    And it is not a matter of a problematic disk.
    So, if I do what disk utility suggests, I should copy 750gb of data in other disks (and I don't have that space), and then 'format' disk.
    Then, it is supposed that after the 'format', the disk will be ok.
    Will it be?
    Unless apple fix it permanently, nobody knows.

So, I cannot 'move' hundreds of gb of data every often, because of apple's fault. Disk utility seems unable to fix permissions after this 'disk corruption'.
    I need an alternative way, faster, leave my disk 'as is', and fix permissions.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ So, I cannot 'move' hundreds of gb of data every often, because of apple's fault. Disk utility seems unable to fix permissions after this 'disk corruption'.
    I need an alternative way, faster, leave my disk 'as is', and fix permissions. ]]

If you indeed wish to "fix" the problems that Disk Utility is reporting, than I don't believe you have a choice in the matter.

You should:
    1. Copy all the data on the problem drive to a DIFFERENT drive
    2. Re-initialize the problem drive with Disk Utility
    3. TEST the problem drive with DU - run the "repair disk" function about 5-6 times, make sure it comes up clean each time.
    4. RE-copy your data BACK TO the drive from the backup you used.

If you DO NOT want to do this, I suggest you get used to living with the permissions problems you have now...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If I understand your problem, it is not so much that permissions can't be repaired, but that there is a drive error that is preventing a permissions repair... is that correct? Are you getting that Disk Util message that says something about needing to remove everything from the disk and reformat to fix the error?

I don't think you will find any other utilities to fix permissions, but there are aftermarket disk repair utilities that might be able to the fix the disk error, then Disk Util would be able to afterward repair permissions normally. Take a look at Disk Warrior to repair the disk non-destructively (not cheap though).