Disk Utility Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matthemercyless, Nov 3, 2009.

1. matthemercyless macrumors member

Does anyone know of a good alternative to Disk Utility for OS X or even Windows?:D

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Perhaps it would help if you told us what you want to do and why disk utility isn't right for you.

The previous response assumed partitioning but that is only one thing du does...

B

4. matthemercyless thread starter macrumors member

After wiping my USB thumb drive with Disk utility, it is no longer recognised in Windows. Tried all different volume formats and security options, but nothing works. Every time I plug it into my windows machine it says it needs formatting and then windows only recognises it as a 200mb drive (its 8GB).

I tried posting the full info in another thread but received no replies so i thought I would try a more simplistic approach. I would never usually be so vague. ;)

5. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

have you tried using the diskpart utility in windows?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thumb drives these days aren't always quite so simple.

Is/was this one a U3 http://www.u3.com/ drive? (i.e. did it show up in Windows as a CD drive and a separate drive letter for the flash drive portion). The 200 MB you are seeing might be the U3/CD part of it and is corrupted.

If so you may actually need to get the formatting utility from the manufacturer to remove the U3 portion before it will behave like you want it.

B