Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwostrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Connecticut, USA
OK - my 1st Gen dual 2ghz PowerMac G5 was acting a little strange - apps slow to launch, apps freezing at launch so I restarted. No change. I then noticed a second drive that I had installed and formatted to install Ubuntu PPC onto was not mounting. I figured it was time to boot with the Tiger install DVD and run Disk Utility. It would not even recognize either drive - it would just spin and never show and disks. Then I shut down and rebooted from my backup external drive. The primary drive on the G5 mounted on the Desktop (but not the other one) and I tried to run Disk Utility from there, but same result. I then shut down and pressed the hardware reset button on the motherboard. Turned it back on, booted from the DVD - same result. I even figured that I might as well just re-install OSX, but the installer never sees the drive as available.

Any experts with some help out there?

Thanks

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

Start with the most basic things: run fsck and / or DiskWarrior. DiskWarrior should normally do.

sash

PS -- is this second drive actually a separate HDD or a partition?

gwostrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Connecticut, USA
@sash

The second HDD is a physical drive in the second drive bay of the G5 tower. Formatted for Unix as I intended to install Ubuntu (just did not get around to it yet). I tried Disk Warrior when I was booted from my backup drive (Firewire 800 external) but it said that the drive was in use and I should try booting from the DW CD - which I did not try yet. Forgot about fsck - been a long time since I ran that. Isn't that the same thing as Disk First Aid (essentially), just from the command line? What is the command? "sudo fsck -y" or something like that?

gwostrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, I have always relied on DW. Its really odd that it did not work when I booted from the external drive and ran it from there. Plus, the drive works *ok*, but Utilities just don't seem to see it. I'll try fsck and booting from the DW disk directly when I return to the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.