Disk Utility -Anyway to make disks without copying all files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by powerbook911, Nov 4, 2007.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

So my toast 7 broke under leopard. I hadn't used Disk Utility, for this type of purpose at least for several years, so I'm becoming frustrated.

No mater whether I do it via a disk image, or put the files I want into the blank disk in the finder, it always copies the entire contents of what I want to burn. Is there anyway around this with the built in capabilities of burning disks? I just want to tell it what I want on the disk, and it leave the files where they are and burns from there. However, it can't do this?

Thanks so much for any advice.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Are you using Panther? In Tiger, the finder simply puts aliases into the disk and then lets you click burn. In Panther, it for some reason made you copy stuff into the disk before burning.

Edit- just re-read you are using Leopard. Haven't used it, but I imagine it operates just like tiger.

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. I thought the aliases wouldn't work and it would only burn aliases, so I made it copy over. Glad to hear it will go back to the original file, if an alias is there.