Disk Utility & Burning CD-R for Mac/Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RogersDA, Sep 9, 2009.

1. RogersDA macrumors 6502

We are trying to redistribute some fatigue tracking software that we own and that was written for Macs and for PCs. The contractor gave us the master disk for us to use.

The disk has the dmg file for Mac installs, and the necessary exe and related files for PC installs.

First we used Mac's disk utility to create a disk image of the CD on the desktop (selected the CD on the left pane, selected New Image (format: Read Only, encryption: None), and created a dmg file). We then selected the dmg file in Disk Utility, selected Burn, and created a new disk on a CD-R. Macs can see the dmg file just fine. PCs can't see the executables, only something called a desktop.ini file.

For the second attempt we created a cdr file using Disk Utility (same as above, but choosing format DVD/CD Master). We then selected this cdr file in Disk Utility, selected Burn, and created a new disk on a CD-R. Macs can see the dmg file just fine. Again, PCs can't see the executables or other files, only the a desktop.ini file.

Finally, we changed the filename extension of the cdr file to iso, and burned the CD-R with the same result as above.

What are we doing wrong? The contractor is out of business for many years, so we can't contact them at all.

We are trying to do this on a MacPro with Snow Leopard.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I seem to remember you have to select format as iso or something like that. I don't have a cd-r with me though. there is an option there somewhere. Why not take a windows formatted cd-r, put it in the macbook and check the format info?

3. RogersDA thread starter macrumors 6502

I did Toast ver. 10. All seems to work that way. I am too new to burning stuff to understand it all right now. Thanks for the help, too.