Disk Utility Can, but I can't see my Ext. Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sammyman, May 10, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

My disk utility can see my external hard drive. I did a disk repair, which was successful. However, I can't see my external hard drive in finder. This is a new macbook pro that I restored with time machine. I am wondering if some weird settings got ported over to my new mac. Probably not, but I would still like to figure out how to access my macbook pro.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you mount it via Disk Utility?

Have you looked at Finder > Preferences > General & Sidebar and checked if external HDDs should show up in Finder?

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked the preferences. It does show external hard drives.

I can repair the disk, which says it repairs fine. However, I can't mount it from disk utility. It says I need to repair the disk first. I followed the advice and repaired it successfully again, but I still can't mount it. Any other ideas?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What connection type do you use, Firewire or USB? Also what specific model is that external HDD?

Have you tried an SMC reset yet?

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is connected via Firewire to my new mbp 13". It is the silver my studio by western digital, about 2 years old maybe.

I will try the SMS reset and get back to you.

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried the SMC reset but that didn't work. I am still stuck. Would love to use this hard drive. It seems to be functioning and responsive to disk utility, but won't mount.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have a similar issue with a Western Digital - it does not show up on the desktop or anywhere else, eg Finder, but I can see it in Disk Utility. At the bottom of the windown in Disk Utility there is a blue hyperlink to tha pathname of the drive and clicking that opens the folders on the drive for me in Finder - not perfect I know but at least I can get to access the drive.

8. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I searched a little more on the internet. I used disk warrior which seemed to fix the drive. I think it deleted a "trash" file on the drive. I have no idea why that was there or what was in it, but maybe this will help someone in the future.

9. CunseededPat macrumors newbie

Im having the same problem and no one can figure this out...sammy, did you purchase disk utility or did you dl it somewhere?

10. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility is free and is on your computer. Try that first and repair disk. Look for diskwarrior. Whether or not you can download it somewhere, I don't know. I think it costs $$$ though. Good luck!

11. CunseededPat macrumors newbie

i meant disk warrior sorry...i dl 3 different versions cant get any to work...i guess its mac store tomorrow for $115

12. ELBOB2583 macrumors newbie

What did You do?

What exactly is it you did that fixed the problem?? Thanks