Disk Utility - can i partition a drive already with data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bozeefus, May 7, 2009.

1. bozeefus macrumors member

hi there

i want to partition my external hard drive to OS journaled so i can store files over 4 gb.

can i still do this, even if the external HD has data on it?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You do realise if you partition it to OS journaled no PC will ever be able to use it, only other Macs and Linux machines.

Anyway to answer your question, if you want to make the WHOLE hard drive OS Journaled the only way to convert it without loosing any data is to copy all the data to your own hard drive then perform the formatting in disk utility, then copy the data back.

If you mean you only want to make a portion of it OS Journaled and leave the rest FAT for Windows then just go to disk utility, select it and then press Partition, choose the new partition size and format that partition to OS journaled. Be careful to select the right one when formatting.

3. bozeefus thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the warning as well as answering my question :)

i plan on making only a small portion of it os extended. it's just for the rare instances when i have to transfer files from mac to mac that are over 4 gb

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

A better solution, which most Mac users do is to format external hard drives in the new Windows NTFS format, both Mac's and Windows can read and write to NTFS with unlimited file sizes, you just have to install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G on Macs to enable NTFS support first. (both free, and dont take up any room on your system, made by Google) Links included, just click the names :)

You dont have to install this on your Windows machines obviously as NTFS is native to Windows

Enjoy :apple:

5. bozeefus thread starter macrumors member

ah! very interesting. i did not know an easier solution exists. :) thank you for the heads up. now i just have to copy my files to someplace else for now...