Disk Utility: can't remove container disk

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by miretogo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. miretogo macrumors member

After a failed attempt to install Windows 10 via Boot Camp, there is now have a second container disk on the Fusion Drive. The problem is that I can't remove it because the option is disabled (see attached screen shots). I also tried it in Recovery Mode without success.

I simply want to remove it and assign the freed space to the macOS APFS volume.

How can I do that?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      248.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You might try booting to INTERNET recovery, to see if that makes any difference.
    Command-OPTION-R at boot.

Then open Disk Utility and try again.

3. miretogo, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

miretogo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, INTERNET recovery did not help. But I fixed the issue by booting into INTERNET recovery, opening Terminal and entering "diskutil resetFusion". After that, the Fusion Drive was erased and after booting with a bootable macOS USB flash drive, all superfluous partitions were finally gone.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You should know also - if you make a boot camp partition, use ONLY the Boot Camp Assistant to remove that boot camp partition. Other methods, such as the terminal, or even the Disk Utility, will not succeed in removing the boot camp partition, and you won't get your space back without doing something more dramatic, like erasing everything.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Are you still having Boot Camp problems after updating your system to 10.14.6?
    That update does list a fix for Boot Camp issues, particularly with fusion drive setups.

6. miretogo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your tip to only use Boot Camp Assistant to remove a Boot Camp partition. I will keep that in mind.