Disk Utility can't see internal hard disc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacDonaldsd, Jun 5, 2009.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Hi,

I have had a problem for about a month whereby my MBP won't shut down, it just hangs after it has cleared the desktop and only the wallpaper is displayed.

Now disk utlity won't see the disk at all, and Software Update also does not find any updates. It checks for new software for ever.

My mac starts up fine, and I can use it as normal so anyone got any ideas ?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it's taking its last breaths. You should contact Apple and ask is there something you can do. Have you tried Disk Utility from your install disk? Put it in and press C during start up and wait for it to start it from disk. Select language and when installer opens, select utilities from top bar and Disk Utility

3. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah I have used disk utitlty from the install disc, and said it said the the hard disc had an invalid free block count. So I repaired it and it said all was fine. But that didn't fix the shutdown issue etc.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, okay. Do you have any 3rd party apps running on background, something that could "block" the shutdown? Try quitting every application before shutting down and have you tried rebooting and when it's on desktop, shutting it down immediately?

Call to Apple and ask what to do before you lose everything in your HD. Make sure that you have back up now, because your HD can die any time

5. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Thanks for the advice,

Im more concerned by the fact Disk Utility cant see the hard disc (compared to the shutdown issue), but I am sure they are all linked.

Il start backing up.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No problem, mate. Back up your data and call Apple and get your HD fixed.

I hope you'll get it work :apple: