Disk utility confusion over corrupt disk - Macbook freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleperson1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. appleperson1 macrumors member

Hi,

My Macbook Pro has been freezing and running poorly for a few weeks now, so I ran Disk Utility today and a screen came up to say the disk needs to be repaired. I then reset the computer, holding down command D, etc. However, when I ran Disk Utility it said that the disk was fine and couldn't get to the repair stage.

I've attached a photo of the original disk utility screen. Any help?

I have also tried to run the Mac repair thing resetting and holding down D, but it couldn't find the problem.

Any help would be great.

[​IMG]

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I'm confused. As far as I am aware CMD + D doesn't do anything on boot.
    Have you actually tried what Disk Utility tells you to do? Hold down CMD + R and then repair through Disk Utility there.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like you have FileVault encryption turned on, and typically disk issues like that cannot be repaired with FV on.

I would backup first, then turn off FileVault and wait for it to unencrypt. Then reboot and hold command-r to get to recovery and try running Disk Utility from there to repair the disk.

It could be that you have a failing drive.

4. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Hey - my mistake. I did the whole Command R thing. Not Command D. D was when I did just D to get to the Apple Hardware Test.

I will try turning off Filevault and see how I go.

Thanks!