Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Hi,

I need to copy DVD's that I have created with iDVD, However I want to be able to add to files to the DVD.

Using Disk Utility - I made a disk image of the DVD to the HD. Then I created a new 4.7GB disk image and copied the Video & Audio folders from HD to this disk image and added a folder for files then burn't the DVD.

But the DVD will not playback auto in DVD player tho it does play if I open the Video folder from the file menu. Does anyone know why this is? As I need to do this to a number my own DVDs and want the DVD to go to the menu as it would normally.

Thanks,
CJ

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
iDVD will do this for you. Under the "Advanced" menu, choose "Edit DVD-ROM Contents...". This will give you an interface that will allow you to add folders and files to your DVD.

Applespider

macrumors G4
There's an Apple support note about this once you've added the initial files as outlined above.

Basically, if you copy the original iDVD disk as an iso or cdr (as a DVD/CD master), you should then be able just to select the resulting file and burn that straight to another DVD without having to rerender them all.

iboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Applespider said:
There's an Apple support note about this once you've added the initial files as outlined above.

Basically, if you copy the original iDVD disk as an iso or cdr (as a DVD/CD master), you should then be able just to select the resulting file and burn that straight to another DVD without having to rerender them all.

I have been able to do this, when I create the cdr image and mount it there is 0k of disk space so i can't add file to that image. So I created a new 4.7GB image and copied the Video and Audio from the cdr image, I then had ample room to add files. But when I brunt this new disk image it does not auto play in DVD Player nor will it play if i press play when the disk is mounted. I have to use the File menu and open Video_TS folder.

thanks again

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
iboi said:
I have been able to do this, when I create the cdr image and mount it there is 0k of disk space so i can't add file to that image. So I created a new 4.7GB image and copied the Video and Audio from the cdr image, I then had ample room to add files. But when I brunt this new disk image it does not auto play in DVD Player nor will it play if i press play when the disk is mounted. I have to use the File menu and open Video_TS folder.

thanks again

That's why you need to add the files INSIDE iDVD. Use the method I explained earlier. What Applespider was talking about was how you can create multiple copies of the DVD without needing to rerender your assets.

iboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Snowy_River said:
That's why you need to add the files INSIDE iDVD. Use the method I explained earlier. What Applespider was talking about was how you can create multiple copies of the DVD without needing to rerender your assets.

I am not creating a New DVD in iDVD. The DVDs i want to copy have already been rendered and burnt to a disc some time ago.

It is these disc I want to duplicate but at the same time add files, that I never put on the original.

I have done been able to do this with disk utility but the resulting DVD Disc does not auto play in DVD Player. The only way to make the disc play is to open the Video_TS folder from the file menu on DVD Player.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yes, but what we're telling you that the best way to do this will be to open your project in iDVD again. Then add the extra files to the DVD-ROM and then redo the DVD from iDVD.
Then you'll be able to use Disk Utility to make multiple copies.

You might be able to use Toast to do what you want to do but not entirely sure.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
iboi said:
I am not creating a New DVD in iDVD. The DVDs i want to copy have already been rendered and burnt to a disc some time ago.

It is these disc I want to duplicate but at the same time add files, that I never put on the original.

I have done been able to do this with disk utility but the resulting DVD Disc does not auto play in DVD Player. The only way to make the disc play is to open the Video_TS folder from the file menu on DVD Player.

Okay, so you don't have the original iDVD file? That was not clear from your original question.

Let me think about this for a bit. There may be a way to do it, but it's probably not quite as elegant....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.