Disk Utility Dosent Detect Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfernoUk, Aug 2, 2010.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys just installed a new HDD into a macbook pro that was dropped. Seems fine, loads the disk and then says it can install the OS, i load up disk utility and theres no hard drive int he list just the optical drive and the DVD, its not the disk that came with the mac itself its either my proper retail one or the one that came with my personal older macbook which might be the issue. Ive taken apart and reconnected the HDD and all seems fine internally. Are there any issues that cause this except not using a full retail disk which im going to try later on, just wanted to rule everything else out.

thanks !

2. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

seems the issue is that the mac itself dosent see the hard drive so it dosent boot up or spin atall. anyway to fix this ?

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hold down the Option key on startup and see if you can see/select the drive.

4. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

^ Yes, and what do you mean when you say "it says it can install the OS"?
    Do you mean you get through the first couple of steps, or to the actual installation?

5. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

it dosent see the drive as a sata drive in the info screen, its not there in the list of drives in device manager and i cant hear it spin up atall so i dont think its powered. however ive taken ti apart and checked and its 100% installed correctly

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Check the jumpers on the drive?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you are installing the OS, you said you can't see the new drive.

Is this in the screen where you select which drive you want to install to?

Or do you not see the drive at all if you open up Disk Utility on the top menu bar?

If it's the former, you need to create a new partition in Disk Utility (by opening it from the menu bar). If it's the latter and you've made sure all the connections are correct, it's possible your new drive is dead and it's time to RMA it.

8. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

the disk isnt in disk utility as in theres no hard drive showing there, or in system info it also says there isnt anything in the sata port and the hard drive isnt spinning up

Also i have checked all cables into the drive and its fully connected ive re done it multiple times to be sure.