disk utility errors!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jun 14, 2009.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I was getting ready to update from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, so I started up from my install disk, opened disk utility, disk verify completed with no errors, but permissions repair gave a bunch of errors. I ran permission repair again and it still had the same bunch of errors! Is this a big problem, or can it be safely disregarded?

(I've searched and found similar posts about permissions errors, and people saying to disregard them, but that sounds like dangerous advice. How do i know that the specific permission errors that I'm having are ones that can be safely ignored?)

Attached Files:

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

It doesn't say "error" anywhere, does it?

Are you having any problems because of it?

The disregard comments are because the system is (seems to be) doing what it is designed to do. Some files are links (see the permissions themselves) instead of files themselves, so the permissions database may not be up to date. Do you see any particular "danger" in the permission status messages?

Perhaps Apple should add more description (or doument in Help) to make it clear what action is recommended by users if they see such messages -- you can wrote to Apple about it.