disk utility failed, what next?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alti, Apr 23, 2009.

1. alti macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had a look around but couldn't find advice which matches my case.

I have an Intel iMac a few years old, which recently started to freeze frequently. I checked the logs and found suspicious disk errors. Indeed running disk utility reveals problems ("invalid sibling link"). I have run disk utility from the CD but it seems unable to repair this problem:
    [​IMG]

What should I do next? It seems I have the following options:
    1. run fsck. However the Apple documentation suggests that this is only useful if you cannot run the disk utility.
    2. run another tool. There seem to be a number of them around. Which one is any good? I may spend money but the tool is unable to fix my disk.
    3. reformat the hard disk. I seem to able to copy my files but this certainly takes up some time reinstalling everything.
    4. replace the hard disk. Obviously this also would entail 3. I guess I'd only do this if it turns out that there is actually a hardware problem with the disk.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

fsck is just going to tell you the same thing Disk Utility did. Try getting a copy of DiskWarrior. It's not free, but can be a lifesaver. Consider it an investment.