Disk Utility found missing folders, my computer acting weird

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kkamin, Aug 11, 2010.

1. kkamin macrumors member

My Macbook has been stuttering a lot in the past day.

I ran Disk Utility and it found the folder count was off. The 'Repair Disk' option is not available. It is grayed out.

Any suggestions?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd suggest you backup your hard drive. It could be dying. After you backup your data restart from your reinstallation DvD and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. You'll be able to repair the disk.

3. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Follow Up Questions

I ran Disk Utility from the Installation Disk and it seems to have repaired the problem for now. I had to run it twice, the first time it said it repaired it, but when I ran a 'verify' it still had a mismatch in number of files and folders. I still don't feel the computer is running as fast as it should be. And I will occaisonally get the spinning beach ball for a few seconds for no apparent reason to me.

1. Is this issue indicative of a failing hard drive or a hard drive with bad sectors?

If anyone knows:

2. Is there a way to detect if I am have bad sectors on my drive? I'm not sure Disk Utility will tell me the underlying issue, perhaps it more informs of symptoms. Rather than running a Disk Repair every week and potentially losing files in the process, it would be nice to know if I should just buy a new internal hard drive.

3. I use Time Machine. If I need to wipe my lap top's drive clean as a future remedy to problems and copy my Time Machine back-up over, and there are bad sectors on my drive or the drive is failing, would that really help in the long run?

Thanks for reading.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A good way to test for bad sectors is to boot from the reinstallation DvD and run a zero disk pass in Disk Utility. It's under the Erase tab, then Security Options. This will erase your disk and write zeros to all sectors. If there are bad sectors Disk Utility will let you know. Make sure you backup everything before you do this.