Disk Utility Free Space Wipe Not Sufficient?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polvomac1985, Dec 15, 2008.

1. polvomac1985 macrumors newbie

Hey,

When using the Disk Utility free space wipe to wipe sensitive data (using the 7 times option), I thought that would be sufficient.

I was wondering though, does the free space wipe option also wipe the slack files on the hard drive? Is this even an issue for a Mac? (I know on Windows the slack file needs to be wiped for a completely secure erase, right?)

I guess I just don't know enough about this; any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

No one has ever demonstrated data recovery with a one-time zero pass, so I'm sure the 7-time pass is more than sufficient.

However, doing it on free space only is NOT sufficient, given that you are paranoid enough to have done a 7-pass in the first place. Only a full disk erase will meet your need.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think wiping the free space option just erases the sectors where you have free space, not the entire drive.

4. polvomac1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys guys.

I don't want to wipe everything on the disk, just stuff that I had erased previously thats sitting in the free space.

I was more confused about slack space and if thats an issue with that Disk Utility program (i.e. does it wipe the slack space too?)? If anyone knows, that would be great.

I had read that 7 wipes is more than enough.

Thanks again