Disk Utility froze, now HD dead

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marekkurlmann, May 27, 2008.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

Hello,

I was trying to reformat an external USB hard drive that had always worked fine (it was completely readable/writable). When I first tried to format it using Disk Utility it stopped mid-way through the process, telling me that an application was using the disk. I restarted the computer and tried again--same message. I'm pretty sure it was referring to Spotlight's indexing of the drive.

I restarted again and tried to format the disk when Disk Utility froze. After trying to unmount the disk and failing to get Disk Utility unfrozen after a few minutes, I pulled the USB cable out. Since then, the disk has been clicking and clicking and clicking--won't mount, won't do anything.

The drive in question is a Serial ATA Seagate Momentus 5400 that was originally the internal hard drive of a year-old MacBook connected via an enclosure. Any advice to bring this disk back from the dead? What went wrong?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A clicking HD almost always means it is about to (or already has) failed.

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible for Disk Utility to cause a disk to physically fail?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, but it's possible for it to trigger a failure that was already happening by accessing damaged sectors or putting extra strain on the drive.

jW