Disk Utility froze while partitioning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlueRevolution, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, Disk Utility has been sitting like this for the past 3 hours. I'm resizing an existing partition and adding a new one, the existing partition having been unmounted. Does anyone know if I'll lose the partition and its data if I force quit Disk Utility?

Attached Files:

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Doesn't look good, but most likely at some point you'll have to force quit it and find out. I suppose it depends on what process it got to in its partitioning. I have seen it screw up in the middle in which case there was data loss, but I have also had to force quit a similar process in DU during the initial phase and during the very end in which cases either nothing had actually happened yet and it stuck, or everything had finished fine but the progress bar just never completed and was stuck.

Those latter two times I ended up being OK although data loss wasn't important; I could have been lucky.

3. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, I've been shuffling stuff around between partitions in preparation for taking it in to the shop, so I've already done a fair bit of partitioning today without incident. This is at the indeterminate progress bar bit at the moment, which comes at the beginning, so hopefully... hopefully...

4. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

YES! I left it running overnight lest it actually work, but no go. I quit Disk Utility this morning, and the partition re-appeared, no fuss.