Disk Utility - HD Bay Location

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stnicks, Feb 27, 2010.

1. stnicks macrumors newbie

I just received my Mac Pro... I already took out the stock HD and inserted an Intel SSD as a Boot Drive and two Western Digital Black 1 TB Drives. The Intel SSD is in Bay 1 and then the 2 WD Black's are in Bay 2 & 3.

When I open Disk Utility the Intel is first in the tree as expected, but when I click on the 1st WD Black in the tree (2nd drive) it says Bay 3 and then when I click on the 2nd WD Black (3rd drive) it says Bay 2.

Any ideas as to why it is like this in the tree? I would expect that the 2nd drive I click on being the 1st WD Black (physical location Bay 2) would be second in the tree, but it is 3rd.

The reason this is a concern is because I intend for one of the WD Black's to be a data drive and the other to be a Time Machine drive. I do not want to get the two confused when I remove them in a year from now to perform maintenance.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Is the Connection ID correct though?

On mine the connection ID (bay number) is correct, though my four drives are in the wrong order in the tree as they go 2, 4, 1, 3 and the two optical drives are the wrong way round.

They appear to be ordered by the disk identifier rather than the bay that they are located in.

If the connection ID (bay number) is correct then you just need to check that before you remove any drives.