???Disk Utility HD Status Failing???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rhonda4, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Rhonda4 macrumors newbie

When I go into Disk utility this is what I see....

This drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired.

The info status is

Name : TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF Media
    Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table
    Disk Identifier : disk0
    Media Name : TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF Media
    Media Type : Generic
    Connection Bus : SATA
    Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@A/PRT0@0/PMP@0
    Writable : Yes
    Ejectable : No
    Total Capacity : 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 Bytes)
    S.M.A.R.T. Status : Failing
    Disk Number : 0
    Partition Number : 0

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS... Is this my Hard drive or my CD drive???
    I have not had any problems with my computer other then my CD drive... It will not take in some CDs and when it does it takes a while to read it and then It still will not run what ever the disk is... When the program (CD) finally comes up it will do the OPEN WITH (and it didn't do it before) then tell me that the CD is damaged or something...

PLEASE HELP ME... My computer went out of warranty 2 months ago... And I need it for my online college classes... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME... :(

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would be your hard drive. It may not be failing, but there's a good chance that it is. A good idea would be to backup your data now.

3. Rhonda4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already backed up what I could...

I was looking at the web page of the only local place by my to get my computer checked and they want $45 to just look at it...

Is there anyway for me to tell what exactly it is???

I don't have the money for someone to tell me that it is what I thought it was for $50 I can get a brand new HD and I can replace it myself...

I'm just so mad... $1000 on a computer for it to break 2 months after my warranty went up... Seriously its only 14 months old... WTH...

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Harddrives fail regardless of the price of the machine they are in. You should never buy a computer and assume the harddrive won't fail.

5. hina2526 macrumors newbie

I am using iDeneb 10.5.5. When im in disk utility during the setup, the 20 GB unallocated.

6. Rhonda4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that Hard drives go... That wasn't my point... The point is you would expect a better HD from a $1000 computer over a $400 computer... My $400 computers HD lasted about 7 years, my $1000 Computer lasted 14 months... Doesn't make sense, you would expect it to be vis versa...

How Can I tell if it is my HD thats failing or if it is something else???

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Well, I guess you got unlucky this time. Unfortunate, but it could have been a lot worse.

I suspect you're right; you'd pay $45 for someone to say "hm, you should replace the disk" so you may as well just do that yourself.

Look on the bright side - you could replace it with an SSD (if you're flush with cash) or a much bigger hard disk ...

8. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I agree it's not worth paying someone $45 just to tell you to replace your HD when you can buy a new 250GB on Newegg for about the same price. SMART data is not the most reliable, it can give you false positives, and drives can still fail even when the SMART data shows there OK. That being said unless the $45 for a new HD is out of reach why take the chance. I can understand your frustration with it just being out of warranty but thats the way it goes sometimes. You may be able to get warranty on the HD itself from the HD manufacturer, based on the mfg date of the HD. Pull the HD, copy the manufacturer, the mfg date, the PN and the SN. Go to the HD oem web site, under the support page there should be a form to fill out for warranty / RMA requests. They may come back and tell you it's not covered but it doesn't hurt to try.

9. reputationZed macrumors 65816

the only way I can think of would be to buy a new HD, or borrow a known good HD if you can, and install it in place of the suspect HD. If SMART shows the HD as good than the suspect HD is not with the risk of using. If SMART shows the new HD as bad than the suspect HD could be good but you got a bigger problem of figuring out why your getting false positives. Either way the only good option is to install a new HD.