Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tushi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi there,

I've got 2 partitions on my MBP which I made with Disk Utility, I tried to do Boot Camp but it doesn't allow me to create a Windows partition unless it is only 1 partition as mac os journaled.

My question is, is there a way to join 2 partitions and not lose data since I've got some important data on the second partition.

I know the way to transfer to an external hdd all my data and then erase the second partition and resize the first partition to be single partition in the system.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
You don't need to use the BootCamp Utility. Just do your partitions in Disk Utility and you are fine. The BootCamp Utility is only for people who are scared off by Disk Utility.

The only rule you have to follow is that Windows has to be in the first 3 partitions on the disk (first 4 if you count the hidden EFI partition).

But no, there is no tool that will merge partitions. Only ones that will delete one and then grow the other.

tushi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry for the late reply.

So I can create a MS-DOS partition with disk utility and then reboot MBP and boot from Windows 7 DVD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.