Disk utility in os x ?

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hey guys, what is the diff between performing disk repairs via diskk utility when booted up to os x vs when u put tiger CD and do a fresh boot?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
farqueue said:
Hey guys, what is the diff between performing disk repairs via diskk utility when booted up to os x vs when u put tiger CD and do a fresh boot?
The repairs are similiar, but more limited when you are working on the boot disk, and more dangerous too. Basic things like permission repairs and such are ok, but if you need to repair directory structures or B-Tree headers for example, it is MUCH safer to do them while booted from another HD or an OS X CD. DiskWarrior, the #1 app for these types of repairs, will NOT allow them to be done on the boot disk at all.......

FYI, there have been recent mentions that Apple has been (slowly) incorporating/adding some DW-like functions into DU, and that they may come full circle in the Leopard version.......

Some basic file system repairs can also be done while booted into safe mode too (hold down cmd + S keys during the boot process)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
MACDRIVE said:
I used Disk Utility this week to erase my hard drive. Did an 8-pass overwrite. It took 51 hours to complete. :eek:
I would consider that extreme overkill. Unless you work for the CIA and were making sure some Top Secret stuff was securely erased!

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
GimmeSlack12 said:
I would consider that extreme overkill. Unless you work for the CIA and were making sure some Top Secret stuff was securely erased!
I was trying to get rid of a third party application called "Safari Speed-Up." Well the "overkill" did the trick quite nicely. :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
farqueue said:
The difference is that Disk Utility won't let you repair the boot volume, so you have to do it from the OS X install disc (or another bootable drive with DU on it).