Disk utility is scitzophrenic. Please help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by junglepunk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. junglepunk macrumors newbie

Because bootcamp is unable to address unalocated space I am stuck with a portion of unallocated space on my HDD.

Therefore I need to extend my HFS+ partition to cover the entire disk (just so I can shrink it back down again with bootcamp).

This is where the problem starts. I go to disk utility and drag the partition out to cover the entire unallocated space. I then hit apply and disk utility starts working only to shortly after inform me that it is unable to complete the process because the file system can not be verified.

So then I go over to first aid and hit verify disk, and repair disk, only to have them both spit out that everything is perfectly fine. I then try to google the problem and the only thing I can find is advice that says I can't reapir the disk because I'm currently booted from the disk. Thats doesn't quit jibe with me, it's not like I'm getting any error messages or anything but I'm willing to try the lion recovery partition anyway.

So I boot into the recovery partition and try to both repair and extend my partition but I run into the same problems.

So why can't I extend my partition to include unallocated space? Please help :)

TLDR; Disk utility won't allow me to extend my partition to cover unallocated space throwing file system errors, but repair disk can't find said errors. What do I do?

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

You lost me a little ... so right now you have a system that includes a bootcamp partition and you want to resize in bootcamp the partition size?

You cannot really resize things from bootcamp in my experience. It just won't work well and will probably lead to an unstable configuration.

My advice is to ditch your bootcamp partition ( delete it ) and then check disk utility. Then re-allocate it the size you want and reformat it NTFS and do the setup again.