Disk Utility Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefool, Jul 13, 2010.

1. applefool macrumors member

applefool

Quick bread down. Macbook Pro 5.5.

Mac OSX 6 copied on to my desktop.

I am using a memorex dvd-r 4.7gb dvd to burn the image so i can install.

I have never burned a dvd on this mac, so I think I'm just doing something wrong. When I go into to disk utility, select the inserted cd and press burn, it routes me to choose the image/file I want to burn. No matter what I go to, the disc image of osx or even movie files on my computer, they are greyed out and cannot be selected.

Please help asap. I need this upgrade to run software for work today.

p.s. i have also loaded in finder and put the images into the folder and selected burn. this fails after two minutes.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

3. applefool thread starter macrumors member

applefool

error code 0x80020063

I get this error code when I drop the image onto the dvd in finder and select burn.

4. applefool thread starter macrumors member

applefool

Ok. So if when i copied osx i simply held option and drug across my desktop to copy, this did not create a sufficient image to burn???

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I was having a hard time following your original post, but I think I follow you now. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what could be preventing Disk Utility from being able to select an image to burn to disc.

You could try repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility and then rebooting to see if that's causing a problem.

If that doesn't help, some potential work-arounds are:

You could download Burn and use the Copy feature.

You could also try Disco as a trial app just to burn the image.

These wont fix your problem, but might get your disc copied.

6. applefool thread starter macrumors member

applefool

I think I've messed up. When I first copied OSX6 to my desktop I just clicked option on the whole folder and copied it that way.

I no longer have that dvd: All I have is this copied file with a disc image inside. I finally was able to create a new image and burn the dvd, but it still reads: the application install mac os x cannot be read from this volume...

I feel like I needed to copy the the initial dvd as a new image in disk utility??? Is this correct??

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I'm thinking you're right. There must be some bit of information the installer is looking for that tells it that it's being installed from a disc, a valid source location.

8. applefool thread starter macrumors member

applefool

yeah, thanks for the feedback. it always helps. im just going to try and work around this software problem the hard way.