Disk utility (leopard): resizing partition on external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jzietman, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jzietman macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use my 500 GB external HD as solely a storage drive now whereas it used to be storage and backup, with separate partitions for each. I have deleted the backup partition (the first partition) successfully with Disk Utility, but how can I resize the remaining partition into the free space before it on the disk? I can't drag it or enter the desired size in the text box, it doesn't seem to want to get any larger.

Is there any way to do this without purchasing ipartition? I have an old version from Tiger, but I'm not sure if that will work safely on leopard, and I do not want to lose my rather larger collection of ripped dvds on this external drive...

Here's a screen shot of what i now see in disk utility:

[​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I think you have to choose "2 Partitions" from the Volume Scheme drop-down menu -> where yours says "current".

3. jzietman thread starter macrumors newbie

wouldn't that overwrite the current partition, though?

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Yes it would.

You will need something like Drive Genius, iPartition, Disk Studio or otherwise to move the data before extending the partition.

5. jzietman thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, Drive Genius, which a friend has, cannot enlarge the second partition into free space coming before it on the disk. The iPartition demo shows that it could do this, but I cannot afford the program.

I've created a new partition in the free space, and i'm copying over all my movies from the old partition into the new one, and anything that doesn't fit will hopefully fit onto other external drives I have. Then I will delete the old movie partition and expand the new one into the resulting free space using Disk Utility. It's manual, it's very time-consuming, but it's free...

6. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

When I swapped my HDD with a SSD, I just partitioned the old 120GB HDD with DiskUtility and no data was erased and it took like 3min only - all done with the 120GB HDD in an enclosure.
    I did: 120GB into 60GB and 60GB with one partition holding my old system and the other is for storage.