Disk Utility - Not there after Leopard Install!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EMKoper, Nov 10, 2007.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Hello-

After my leopard upgrade, I no longer have the Apple Disk Utility app... how can i get this app installed? Can I boot to the Leopard install disk and 'pick' a missing app from the install? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Is anything else missing? You could try using Pacifist to extract it manually from the Leopard discs. However, if there are more missing components then it might be a good idea to do a quick Archive & Install. :)

3. John Musbach macrumors regular

Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Disk Utility is located in Applications>Utilities, if you have looked there and are sure it doesn't exist (try View>Arrange By>Name just to make sure it wasn't dragged off the screen) try searching for it via Spotlight and see what comes up.

4. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

As it stands now Disk Utility doesn't even do anything for me. It just attempts to repair or attempts to repair permissions for hours. I let it sit over night and it still was all hanging and doing nothing.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I am. I've tried disk utility almost hourly and on different computers (Some I have installed two or three times to see if it fixes the problem) and it still doesn't work.

7. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Thanks for the help...

Yeh, I tried 'spot light' and I usually stick to 'column' view and I am pretty sure it isn't there! I 'booted' from the Leopard install disk and ran the utility from the install pull-down menu to get me by (formated a new hard-drive for TimeMachine) ... there is no way I am re-installing the OS for one application!

Mad, I'll try the application your suggested... I have heard of it, but will check it out again tonight...

8. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Pacifist worked like a charm! I really 'hope' nothing else starts disappearing, but I'll watch for it... Thanks for the hint!

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fantastic work mate. Remember to keep all your files and data backed up all the time. :)

10. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

I have a 'stupidly' extensive back-up approach (I'm a little paranoid ... almost sent a back-up drive to my parent's safety deposit box, too) ... this new disk was the large external for the full time-machine system back-up to restore if necessary, while all my media and such is being backed up multiple other times! So far, all is working well ... and I am only slightly comfortable with it... I have been thinking of online back-up options, too... Anyone with experience with those? Recommendations? :eek:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use .Mac, personally. You might want to start a new thread with a specific title to get better responses though. :)