Disk Utility not working; boot disk not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbeucher, Nov 26, 2008.

1. jbeucher macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have an 8 month old MB, 2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 160 GB HD, running 10.5.5. I normally do the updated from Apple when the updates come out.

Anyway, I was trying to reformat/erase an external hd; I didn't see the Disk Utility icon on my Dock. I had used Disk Utility before (last time was maybe a month or two ago).

Go into applications, see something called disk utility, but it has a different logo (a piece of paper with a pencil, brush and ruler in the shape of an A). I click on it, it jumps once and does nothing. I figure it needs to be reinstalled, but the DVD that came with the computer says I can't install OS X on this computer.

Any thoughts on how to get disk utility working? And a boot disk that works?

Thanks

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Disk Utility is in the Applications > Utilities folder. Alternatively press CMD Space to bring up the spotlight search bar and type in Disk Utility then press return.

3. jbeucher thread starter macrumors newbie

I did go to applications>utilities. I clicked on it to launch, but all it did was jump once and then quite.

Attached is the screenshot of disk utility in the utility folder; I am also seeing some asian characters on another app (no idea what that is).

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Very strange. It must have got corrupted somehow. Perhaps a repair permissions will help.

Boot from the OS X Install DVD that came with your computer and run disk utility from there (Insert the Install DVD and shutdown the computer then power it on while holding down the C key). When its booted from the DVD choose the appropriate language then from the menu choose Utilties > Disk Utility. Make sure that the hard drive is highlighted and the 'First Aid' tab is chosen then press Repair Permissions (I would run it twice just to be sure). After thats finished restart the computer to see if that fixes the problem.

good luck.