Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Is this error ok ?

when i repair external drive with DU, i see something about "Volume bitmap... orphans blocks" but this appears on entire disk (top), not volume itself.(second)

Is there any concern ? The drive appears ok on desktop and can read/write ok. but repairing does nothing,,, i still see the above error

Or, should i backup and recreate partition?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That may be a drive beginning to fail. If you can, I would remove any data and reformat and see if that fixes it.

Even if that fixes it, I would keep an eye on it afterwards.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
The thing is, it only happens on "repair" not "verifying".... If it was the drive, you would also see "Disk needs repair" when the user clicks "Verify" as well.

It creates temporary file just fine and goes though ok when booting through Internet recovery....

Tries another account and same issue happens there too..

Soits only when booting outside the OS, that it works ok. Apart from this, the drives themselves store data ok.

If drives were beginning to fail, i would see symptoms in Verifying as well, as outside OS. Neither of this happens

Update: Definitely a bug from Senior Adviser... reported to Apple..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.