Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Hello,

I'm baffled and I could really use some advice.

A customer told me his G4 wasn't working properly, and it would not stay powered on, dying shortly after it was started up (1-2 seconds max). I told him I thought it was the power supply, he said he just wanted his data out of it anyway, etc etc.

So I took his hard drive and his My Book external storage drive with me back to my lab. I put the hard drive in my "Ol' Reliable" G3 tower, and used Disk Utility to "Restore" a partition I created on that My Book to the state of the customer's hard drive. I didn't dig around in his files on the My Book, just verified that the partition was the right size and that the basic file structure was in place. (almost 10GB of data, the size of both the old and new drive are exactly the same.) It took about 2 hours to "restore" from a USB 2.0 connection to the My Book, the time is about right.

And then I took the My Book back to the customer (he's about 30-40 minutes away from me), who plugged it into his Macbook. He verified that the new disk contains the right amount of data, just shy of 10GB. He verified that there is a "User" folder and inside of it is his Profile folder and his "Shared" folder. But he says he can not see any files or folders inside of his "User" folder. I talked him through changing the view settings, but he still says he sees nothing inside of his "User" folder. He says he can't see any files, but verifies that the new disk contains the exact amount of data! Like 9.62GB, or something, the exact same amount as the old hard drive had used.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Is this a Tiger to Leopard issue of some sort? Or is there some setting he needs to check or uncheck? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can tell him to try and locate his missing files? (Specifically, he is after his "Desktop" file, he had about 10 million files on his desktop).

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.