Disk Utility Partition Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wildwobby, May 22, 2008.

1. wildwobby macrumors member

Well, this is just messed up.

I made a partition on my disk a while back (which is now free space) and I would like to integrate it back into my OS X partition again. As you can see. However the Disk Utility is glitchy as hell! The first thing I notice is the Windows partition is looks freaking huge, when in reality, it is smaller than the mac partition. When I try to just drag the partition bigger, it snaps into a messed up position. If I manually type 0 into the Free Space, it goes to 1Gb, and doesn't change the Mac or Windows Partition!?! Is it just me, or is the disk utility glitchy as heck for me? Here is a video:
    http://wildwobby.com/moviehd.mov

Thanks,
    Wildwobby

2. Jaschr macrumors member

Same Here

I have the same problem with my windows partition looking huge. (So does this guy- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=485060 ).

To delete your unused partition; click on the one you want deleted. Then down below click on the minus button.

But as far as making the dang thing look correct is beyond me. I've deleted home:library:preferences:com.apple.diskutility.plist. That doesn't work either. Good luck, let me know if you find something.

3. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

4. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

Well,

until Apple fixes it, I found a temporary fix.

It involves to command line:

Code:
    disktool -l
    Find the partition that you wanted to extend, in my case it was 'disk0s2'.

Code:
    diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 158G
    Replace the 'disk0s2' with the the partition you want bigger, replace 158G with how big you want it to be. I just added the current size to the amount of freespace and was left with 158.

It will seem to hang, but give it a few minutes, and it will finish.