Disk Utility Partition HD Space Mess up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kmistr01, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Kmistr01 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So i tried to install Vista on my new 2012 13' macbook air, but failed. I manually created a partition from disk utility and then tried to install directly onto the partition but it didn't work. Once i realized i was going to have to buy windows 7, i went back to disk utility and deleted the partition i created. When i resized my "Macintosh HD" partition, i am only getting a HD size of 119 gigs instead of 121 gigs. Since HD space is at such a premium, i believe i need to format the HD and reinstall Lion on to it. I don't really have anything installed aside from Aperture and Diablo III, so i don't mind doing this as i only got the machine over the weekend. So what is the best way to do this? Should i erase the HD from disk utility? If so how should i go about doing that? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks all!

2. Kmistr01 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Hold down the option key on start, and boot from the Lion recovery partition. Do your reformat and reinstall from here and you should be good to go! :)

4. Kmistr01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! So if i format the HD, it wont erase the recovery partition correct? I just want to make sure.