Disk Utility Partitioning Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by speedemonV12, May 11, 2008.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Hi, I currently have Leopard installed on my MBP. A while back I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 via bootcamp. I have a 130GB Leopard partition, and a 18GB Windows partition. Now I want to add another partition, splitting the Leopard partition into two. I want to add a 20GB partition. I have cleaned my computer, and there is plenty of free space to do this. Currently 70GB free. So I go into disk utility, and try to partition. Doesnt work. Says that it failed to verify, repair disk. Then i boot from Tiger install disk, open disk utility, and verify disk. Says there are errors so i repair disk. Says that it repair worked. Verified again just to be sure, no problems. Go back into leopard and disk utility to try and partition, still does not work, i get the same error. Any Suggestions on what to do ??

thanks!

2. gelatin macrumors 6502

i have a similar problem. ive got a new MBP and i have never partitioned the disk. im trying to partition one for windows but i get a verification error. ive also repaired permissions etc but it still wont work

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

well that sucks... im going to do a fresh install.. toast everything and start over.. ill let you know if i am able to partition after that.. ... boot camp worked for adding one partition, but i want to add another..

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

repair your disk permissions?

I would just format the whole drive and make 3 partitions from the start.

5. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

I have this problem too. Sometimes the progress bar gets two thirds of the way and then just sits on "modifying partition map" forever. I've even left it on when I went to school and it's still sitting there.

A solution soon would be great as I wanna install Ubuntu :)

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Same problem. I'm in the middle of backing my drive up (not trusting time machine to this extent yet) and going to reformat.

7. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya, Im doing this to install Ubuntu,

I was thinking about doing three partitions from the start, but it is more complicated. I had heard that a lot of people had success installing Leopard, then windows via bootcamp, and then using disk utility to create the ubuntu partition. So thats the way that Im going to do it, unless there is an easier way. I have already backed up everything, so Im about to take the plunge.

8. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

yea i disabled time machine the second i got it...I really don't trust it at all plus its just as fast to drag and drop every once in a while

9. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so when i tried booting up from the mac install disk, and it didnt work, i did not realize that I was using the Tiger install disk...so here is what i did to get it to work

Inserted Leopard install disk
    booted from install disk
    ran disk utility
    verified disk
    repaired disk
    repaired permissions
    added partition
    applied
    BAM, new partition, 20GB named Ubuntu,
    then proceeded to install Ubuntu. Everything worked great!

if you have any questions, just let me know

10. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

scratch what i Just said, i now cannot boot into windows, But i am typing this reply from Ubuntu!

Edit: ok, so i can boot into windows... but as soon as the windows loading screen comes up, 2 seconds later, the computer restarts.. any have a clue whats going on ?

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I reformatted and repartitioned mine and it seems to be working okay. The Time machine restore worked great (so far, probably no problems) so I didn't need to use the clone of the OS X drive that I made. And I used WinClone to clone my bootcamp partition back onto the new partition (was resizing my bootcamp partition). Haven't booted up in bootcamp yet but Fusion booted the bootcamp partition just fine.

About your problem, did you touch your bootcamp partition?

12. gelatin macrumors 6502

hmm i dont really wana format my HD as ive only just got all the stuff i want on it

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't think anything else will work. I tried almost everything I could think of and had to resort to nuking it and restoring from my time machine backup.

14. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, I didnt touch the bootcamp partition... The funny thing is that i thought the problem i would run into would be selecting to boot into Windows....It shows up on all the bootloaders fine, but at the Windows loading screen, the computer just restarts...

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

16. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

yup, tried every possible way of booting into windows... no luck

17. gelatin macrumors 6502

hang on my problem is that it wont partition
    is that what everyone elses problem is? im getting a little confused

18. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

That was everyone's problem but now the OP is having problems booting into windows as well.

19. danielsuo macrumors newbie

20. mrmacman65 macrumors newbie

Use Install DVD

I booted up from the Install DVD and used the Disk Utility from there.
    It worked fine.