Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Hey Guys,

I've got a problem...Yesterday I was trying to repair permissions and disk utility got so far and then said it had lost connection. I restarted it a few times and everytime it got to what seemed to be the same point it lost connection.

I have never had this problem before and don't know how to fix it.

Has anyone experienced this problem? It is a sign of more problems to come?
And the most important question - HOW to fix it?

-Brian

anothernewbie

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2004
Deming, New Mexico
Repair permissions glitch

This is a problem with OS 10.3.x and the latest iTunes update. Two specific files must be removed from HD>Library>Reciepts: itunes.pkg and itunes4.pkg (they can be put on the desktop). Then repair permissions will work. The files can then be replaced into receipts.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
dontpanic said:
i have this same problem but i don't see a folder called receipts..

what do i do?

You're not looking in the right place...

/Library/Receipts

The Library folder at the root of your hard drive, NOT the one in your home folder.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
i have this problem too.

I removed the two files to the desktop and repaired permissions. It all worked. I put the two files back in receipts and tried to repair again (just to see if it had fixed itself) and got the same lost connection message again.
Do i need to trash those two files and reinstall itunes 6.0.2?

Edit: That worked, so i guess the answer is yes!

anothernewbie

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2004
Deming, New Mexico
The Apple Tech advised me to return the files to receipts and repeat the temporary file removal if I wanted to repair permissions in the fulture. I believe he told me that if I simply deleted these files I would have problems updating iTunes when an update was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.