Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assafzur10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hi All,

When running disk utility on my MBPR Mid 2012 I am getting the following message:
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 9.58.00.png

tried booting in recovery mode but the Macintosh HD volume is greyed out and I cannot run First Aid on that volume (First Aid for APPLE SSD runs smooth).

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?

tnx

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'd be concerned enough to finally go buy an external drive, install a system on it and try repair from there.
Of course, I already have lots of drives suitable for that purpose, but a bad file count portends evil.
You should get this fixed ASAP.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you can repair the parent file "APPLE SSD", but Macintosh HD is greyed out beneath that? you could try reinstalling the OS from recovery, see if that fixes it...

assafzur10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
you can repair the parent file "APPLE SSD", but Macintosh HD is greyed out beneath that? you could try reinstalling the OS from recovery, see if that fixes it...
I'll give it a try. Tnx
[doublepost=1478360931][/doublepost]
I'd be concerned enough to finally go buy an external drive, install a system on it and try repair from there.
Of course, I already have lots of drives suitable for that purpose, but a bad file count portends evil.
You should get this fixed ASAP.
Already have a backup on external drive using time machine, what should I do next?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Sadly, Time machine doesn't count. You need something you can boot from.
I use SuperDuper! to make those. Others use Carbon Copy Cloner.

assafzur10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Tried once again to run first aid from recovery mode, after choosing "mount" and typing lock password I was able to run first aid on Macintosh HD volume.
The process failed while on recovery mode but when I restarted the mac again and run first aid all seems well (process completed successfully).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
First Aid is very inaccurate once the drive has an issue. Recently I ran it after a problem and it said the drive was fine. Its was not. The SSD and HDD had become unfused. After hours on the phone with AC no one was able to tell me whats wrong, I took to an Apple Store. The genius diagnosed, fixed and installed Sierra under 30 min on the sale floor. If you can back up, do so. If you have a store near you make an appt and go in...

assafzur10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
First Aid is very inaccurate once the drive has an issue. Recently I ran it after a problem and it said the drive was fine. Its was not. The SSD and HDD had become unfused. After hours on the phone with AC no one was able to tell me whats wrong, I took to an Apple Store. The genius diagnosed, fixed and installed Sierra under 30 min on the sale floor. If you can back up, do so. If you have a store near you make an appt and go in...
Tnx. Will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.