Disk Utility Question?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DougY, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Ive run Disk Utility several times, incl Verify disk, Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions. However, after running it, there are still Disk Permission Problems. How many times is it necessary, or safe to run Disk Utility until all the problems are resolved? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could post the permissions report here and we can take a look at it to see, if it is okay or not.

3. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do that?

4. celticpride678

Select all of the lines in the permissions repair box and copy them. Paste them here.

5. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Code:
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.
    User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

6. celticpride678

Those permission errors are safe to ignore.

7. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

My browser still functions slower than normal, and I occasionally get the bouncing ball. Any suggestions for me?

8. celticpride678

What browser? What OS? Anything else running?

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are probably falling into the same trap most everyone does, thinking your iMac (or any other Mac) is having problems when they read those messages. Please read this Apple Advice Letter called, "Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore"

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

10. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

OS 10.6.4, Using both Mozilla and Safari. They are slower than normal, especially when searching on Google and bringing up bookmarks.

11. celticpride678

Firefox is a slow app in general - not much you can do there. Do you have any extensions installed with Safari.

12. cliffwarren macrumors newbie

I wish I had seen this thread before yesterday...

I was getting the same disk permissions errors as the OP was getting. But when I would try to authenticate the computer for iTunes, it would die saying that I needed to fix permissions to make it work. Hmmmm...

This was a machine that I recently bought from eBay. Since the machine had virtually none of my data on it, I decided to re-install OS-X 10.5. That went well, but when I let the machine receive automatic updates, it tried to install them and died. Now it crashes hard with panic mode when I turn it on.