Disk Utility question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey,

I'm having a couple Disk Utility issues. First of all, when I try to Repair Permissions, it just freezes on "Estimated time: less than one minute". It never finishes.(restart doesn't help)

Also, on the left it refers to some Matshita CD-RW thing, but there' snothing in my CD drive. what is that?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Repair Permissions takes a while in Leopard, so you should wait.

Matshita CD-RW is the actual CD/DVD drive, it'll always be there. If you have a disk in the drive, it'll appear under that heading.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The freezing issue has been reported a lot with Leopard. I think about half of the people found that it actually wasn't frozen if they waited long enough (half hour maybe).

The Matshita CD-RW is the drive itself. If there is a CD in it it will show up indented just below that.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

thanks! that clears it up.

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

So you have to wait that long to verify then another half and hour to repair permissions?

Got it thank you. It does take awhile for it to finish on leopard. It only took about 20 minutes to verify and repair permissions.

6. johnsawyercjs macrumors member

johnsawyercjs

"Less than 1 minute"

At least it would be nice if leopard's Disk Utility didn't say "less than 1 minute" when it darn well knows that's not true...and if it gave some more feedback as it was proceeding...and if its barber pole would increment to provide feedback. All concepts that appeared in previous versions of Disk Utility. Apple sure likes to take away as much as it likes to give. Guess it's some nutcase at Apple's idea of keeping us in line.