Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mswift

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have a brand new mac book I am using the disk utility to create a new partition (30 gb of the 160 on the HD)

Disk utility has been running for 2 hours is this normal? Suggestions??

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
I have a brand new mac book I am using the disk utility to create a new partition (30 gb of the 160 on the HD)

Disk utility has been running for 2 hours is this normal? Suggestions??

Don't think that's a normal time for formatting that kinda size. I'd say leave it for a little while longer though. I think I had a problem with it stalling while I was formatting a partition a while ago. I think I ended up force quitting, and everything seemed ok after I ran it again (That's no guarantee yours will be the same though!)

Ed

singhy44

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
Actually, I'm formatting my iMac's HD at the moment to make a partition for Snow Leopard, and it's been going for half an hour and still says 'Modifying Partition Map'. I've tried before and it gave me a spinning beach ball, so I force quitted, but there are no spinning beach balls currently, so I will persevere...

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
No idea what you guys are doing but I just formatted a 1TB hard drive using disk utility and it did it in 1 or 2 minutes (if not less).

Are you sure you didn't select the option to erase it 7 or 30 times for data security reasons? That would take more than a day on any drive of a reasonable size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.