disk utility repair futility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wie Gehts, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hey folks...
    this is really starting to get my goat, to put it nicely.

Whenever I happen to get a 'disk needs to be repaired' and then run the disk utility repair from my installation disk, it has always so far, reported that the disk didn't need any repair after I run it.

For example, my computer was acting a little strange so I ran Onyx. It told me the hd needs repair. So I run off the installer and, of course, it says no repairs needed. And when I reboot from my hd and run onyx or disk utility, it says it needs repair. The freakin' repairing off the installer disk never works. Its becomes a vicious cycle. It always has done this and now I'm really irritated.

What usually winds up happening is that after shutting down and using the computer a few times, it'll go away.

Am I supposed to shell out a 100 bucks for disk warrior for what this &*!%^* useless and pointless disk utilty is supposed to do in the first place?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

1. Restart your computer while pressing the key. (This causes the computer to startup in Single-User Mode. You will see a fullscreen commandline interface.
      [*]At the command prompt, type fsck -fy. (This runs File System Check and forces the OS to accept repairs repairs to your hard drive.)
      [*]If any repairs are performed, then rerun the fsck -fy until no additional repairs are required. If fsck identifies problems but doesn't seem to repair them, then you should shutdown your system until a qualified technician can examine it.
      [*]If your system is reported to require no additional repairs, then type either exit or logoff. (Either will do.)
      [*]After going through a lengthy routine, your computer should eventually return the traditional MacOS X GUI.