Disk Utility/Repair Permissions Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rhobes, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello All-

See my system in signature below. I'm trying to clean & update my system in anticipation to upgrade to El Capitan, main reason is to update Motion 5 and FCPX, which can't be upgraded until I upgrade the OS. I'm on Mavs now.

I have updated all apps that need it otherwise. My printer and scanner (separate items) are old but they work on Mavs, both Epson. Scanner using compatible driver from Epson for10.9- 10.11 now. Printer on most current driver from Epson but would not run on Mavs unless I accepted the mac error pop up to fix the "faulty driver installation". Printer works great but apparently on Apple driver now. So, all is well with printer & scanner on Mavs. I'm still on Mavs.

So, I do some maintenance. Zap PRAM, then Repair Permissions. And, I repair permissions multiple times right after each repair. I always get the same long list of "Permissions differ", and "Repaired", with 1 exception- a Warning on a "SUID file". It seems the list never gets shorter, always the same no matter how many times it's repaired, even though 1/2 the list always says "Repaired".

After consecutive repairs I always end up with ~ 288 lines of "permissions differ" and "Repaired". All these lines are Epson/Printer related (as mentioned in the respective line), I have never seen the word scanner or anything that might hint at the scanner. Actually, there are 2-3 lines that continuously mention Safari at the immediate top of the listing.

Question is:
    1) Is it normal, to have so many lines that never seem to get repaired- or go away after repairs?
    2) Why are most all lines Epson printer related?
    3) Will I cause incompatibility problems or whatever if I were to update to El Capitan as is?

Thanks, Rhobes

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203172

It is normal to have some like that, and Apple even has a list of items like that you can ignore. But 288 is a lot. Are most all of these from Epson drivers? If it is, it won't hurt anything.

El Capitan has actually done away with permissions repair in Disk Utility as it really does not do much anyway.

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for the reply, all but 3-4 of the 288 are Epson related. Nothing I can do about it, that I know. Like you said, El Cap has no ability to repair permissions anymore & I understand when upgrading to it permissions are corrected as it overwrites the old system, so yes, I believe I'll ignore it (and hope the printer & scanner work on the other side).