Disk Utility reparing 100s of permissions again and again

Discussion in 'macOS' started by desertman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

My wife's MacBook Pro (i7 with OS X 10.7.5) needed a very long time to boot and I therefore let Disk Utilities' permissions repair run. Disk Utilities found a huge amount of wrong permissions and repaired them. However, when I ran it again, it found again a huge amount of wrong permissions and repaired them - and did the same the next time (starting from an external hard drive) ... and the next time (from the internal hard drive) ... and the next time (from the recovery partition).

Is there an explanation for something like this? The hard drive as such is ok - Disk Utilities did not find any problems with it.

Greetings - desertman

2. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the list which I find almost funny.

If there are so many "wrong" permissions that are not "wrong" - why is OS X not suppressing these messages?

BTY: After letting Disk Utility repair the permissions several more times (altogether probably 10 times) there are now no permissions anymore that need repair and the MacBook boots again very fast. It seems to be worth to repeat the permissions repair again and again.