Resolved Disk Utility reporting less free space than Finder?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by cambookpro, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cambookpro, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,

I was using Disk Utility a few minutes ago and noticed that it only says I have 135GB free on my HD, when Finder says I have 220GB free?

Anyone have any ideas why? And which one is accurate?

Thanks

EDIT: After looking in the About This Mac storage screen, the 'backups' section is around 85GBs, which is the difference between the two. Does Finder omit this?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is "local backups" created by Time Machine. You can read more about it here. Nothing wrong with your machine.

3. bryan85 macrumors regular

To reclaim this space just toggle Time Machine off/on. It's stupid! I have to do this almost every day to reclaim >25GB space. The backups add up very quickly if you are moving around big media files.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you just ignore it, OS X will shrink the local backup on its own if you need the space for user files. Although, my OCD does sometimes compel me to zero it out this way also. :)

5. bryan85 macrumors regular

I thought the same thing also however, I was proven wrong last night when I was downloading movies I had purchased through iTunes. My downloads got paused and I got a low disk space notification. After toggling Time Machine to off, I was able to reclaim roughly 25GB of space and resume my downloads. :confused:

6. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks for the responses everyone. Think I will leave it for now then as I still have a good amount free, good to know there is a way to get rid of them though.

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Type this in Terminal to stop OS X from making local backups:
    Code:
    sudo tmutil disablelocal