Disk Utility reports wrong disk size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avlor, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Avlor macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm new to mac, have been using mine for only three months now, but couldn't help noticing a strange thing. When I go to Disk Utility or cmd+i on a selected partition, the size reported by OSX is incorrect. E.g. I have a 250GB disk, so I'm used to seeing 232GB as usable disk space, which is a totally normal thing. However, OSX tells me that my disk is actually 250GB. More advanced partition utilities (currently I'm using iPartition but suggestions are welcome) report the disk size correctly. So I began to doubt whether folder sizes are reported correctly or "scaled up" to match the size of the disk?
    E.g. if I was an ignorant consumer and tried to put 250GB worth of data on the disk, it wouldn't fit as there is not enough physical capacity to accommodate it, is that right?
    Is it the normal behaviour or I screwed something up in the system?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Snow Leopard introduced the ever so wonderful (terrible) base 10 reporting for disk/file sizes. Not all applications (even Apple's) will report it under base 10.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I hate base-10 too. Worst decision by Apple ever. I couldn't care less whatever format wins over in the end, just as long as everyone USES THE SAME EFFING ONE. Check this link for base-2 10.6. Hopefully he'll get round to updating it for 10.6.6 soon!

4. Avlor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jimmy, that link is very promising. I reckon I should NOT try installing a 10.6.5 version, right?

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy