Disk Utility reports wrong free space? Have disabled time machine but still.

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by macsir, Nov 10, 2014.

1. macsir macrumors newbie

I know this problem has been mention before and I have followed suggestions for turning off time machine, repair disks, rebuild index etc. But still the space is not matching between disk utility and storage in about Mac.

Another one need to notice that, when I use command+R to boot into disk utility in safe mode, it dose report more free space than the utility in normal mode.

What is wrong here? Is it a bug anyway in this version?:eek:

2. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I noticed a mismatch as well, maybe it is a bug, hope someone can weigh in on this.

3. macsir thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine matches exactly. Are you talking about where mine is 65.07GB?

How much is yours off?

[​IMG]

5. macsir thread starter macrumors newbie

In the partition of disk utility, the whole disk is divided into blue area and white empty area. when you use your mouse hover over the white place, you can see mac is telling your how much available space you have. In my case, the disk utility of this action is telling different free space between safe mode and normal mode. There are around 10 GB difference. :(

6. macsir, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

macsir thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, coz I have partitioned them with boot camp. The difference is getting less but still you understand what I am talking about. Left is the normal mode, right is the safe mode.

Attached Files: