Disk Utility....Runs and Runs and Runnnnnnnns

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zagato27, Jan 5, 2008.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Firts, my setup. G5. Just installed Leopard (retail version) on a brand new Seagate Barracuda 320gb (oem disc failed). BTW, this new Seagate is my only hard drive and I'm only using about 31gbof the 298 showing available(so much for a 320gb drive eh?). I've tried running Disk Utility to "verify permissions" and get the message "less than a minute remaining" with the blue bar sitting at 20% or so. I've let it run for about 10 minutes and nothing. Should I let it run longer? Anyone else have this happen to them? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a known issue, and if you get SUID warnings at the end, thats fine too...

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Known issue eh? Guess that means that Apple is "working on it" and look for a cure in an update?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe, but it wasn't cured with 10.5.1

5. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Arrrrrrgh. How could Apple have missed this one? Oh well, least I know that it's just now "me". Lazy day here in Savannah, or should I say morning. Late in the afternoon in London I'd guess. Kind of day to curl up with a book. Yup, think I'll try that after some domestic chores. Cheers

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They haven't missed it, they have a guide telling people not to worry.

7. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Haven't seen the guide. Would you point me in the right direction? Apple.com? Checking

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Sure, over here :)

9. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Thanks. I see where disk utility seems to have "issues". However, I couldn't even get to the end where a message appears. I may start it up tonite and just let it go and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

10. Matari macrumors member

slow disk permissions

Hi

Yes I had the same problem - checked the forums, realised that it was going to take some time - 1.5 hours in fact... tut.

11. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Yup, just the other night I set it up to run b4 I went to bed. In am it was done. Yes, I did get all those messages (those contained in the thread from Apple saying that they weren't a problem) saying that this was wrong and it wouldn't correct it but at least it ran all the way through. Cheers

12. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I've found it works if I boot from the leopard disk and run it from there. Logged in normally, sometimes it works (and takes ~7min), but other times not so much. If you ever want to do it again, try from the boot disk.