Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sputacus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Duncanville TX
Disk utility is indicating that my internal hard drive has a problem that can't be repaired. I also ran a S.M.A.R.T. test using Tech Tools and got the following result:

TechToolsProTest-vi.jpg

However, my hard drive appears to be running fine - haven't noticed any degradation of performance since receiving the warnings two days ago. And HD is still running quiet (no strange mechanical noises I'm accustomed to hearing prior to a failure). Nevertheless, I'm installing a new HD tomorrow and recloning it from a backup external drive (operating from external until then). I'm just curious, are these warnings pretty reliable indicators of imminent failure?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Make a carbon clone copy on an external hard drive so you can boot off of that. Your HDD is going to break. It's quite common for even newer hard drives to bite the dust for unknown reasons.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Thumbs up to you for keeping a few clones!!! :cool:

Regardless of the circumstances, everyone should keep a bootable clone on an external HD; it saves so much frustration, downtime, and lost data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.