Disk Utility says my hard disk is corrupt. What's the likely reason?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AmbientChaos, Jul 1, 2014.

1. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

My OS X installation wouldn't turn on, and Disk Utility said something about needing to backup as many files as possible, then reformatting.

So I backed up my data and reinstalled in a new drive, and used the old as a drive for non-essential data.

A week or so later, Disk Utility shows the following issue:

Incorrect number of extended attributes
    It should be X instead of Y

I've never had so many issues within such a short period of time so I'm buying a new disk.

I did some reading on extended attributes and it afaik it is a filesystem/software issue and not a hardware issue. But what exactly could cause an incorrect number of extended attributes?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to clarify, you put in a new replacement drive and now these errors are popping up on the new drive? If that is the case, it could be that you have a and drive cable. This seems to be becoming a more common problem lately.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

If the new drive is showing these errors, it could also be bad RAM.

The short explanation: Disk structures are read into RAM and written from RAM. If RAM is bad (including intermittently bad), then not only can the data in RAM not be what's on disk, but when writing, a previously undamaged structure on disk can become damaged because it was corrupted in RAM and rewritten to disk.

4. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Whoops it seems like I didn't word my post quite clearly.

The errors are popping up on the same drive. So repair, reformat, same issue appears.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Very likely a bad drive then. It also could be a bad cable or even bad memory as mentioned, but that is less common.

You could try running the Apple Hardware Test and see if that turns up anything for the memory.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to test the cable short of trying out your drive in an external enclosure to see if that fixes it by taking the cable out of the equation.