Disk Utility says my HD needs to be repaired... what next?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zwhaler, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Hey all, I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I have a Black Macbook from late may of last year, 2.16 model, and today after trying to verify my disk (not permissions) Macintosh HD with Disk Utility it says that it could not be verified and needs to be repaired. The disk itself does not make clicking noises or anything like that and I have not had any problems with it all. I had a backup of everything on it until recently when my Time Capsule broke. (It was defective) I have since got it replaced but have been gone on vacation with my laptop but not the Time Capsule so there is currently not a saved backup of the disk. The utility says (I'll only put in the red parts)

Invalid volume file count, should be 771452 instead of 771453

Invalid volume directory count, should be 161457 instead of 161456

The volume needs to be repaired

-----

I won't be able to make a backup until this time tomorrow... Should I bring it to Apple after that? Great time to not have a saved backup huh?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It the SMART status still verified? Backup, then boot off your install CD go into disk utility and repair the disk. All should be good after that. :) Hopefully.

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Yeah the smart status is verified. I'll try what you said as soon as I can, thanks!