Disk Utility Shows Nonexistent Drive, but Not Mac HD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asr525, Mar 13, 2014.

1. asr525 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, so forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place...

The problem:

My MacBook Pro (13", summer 2011 model, running Mountain Lion, 320 GB HD) will only boot to Internet Recovery.

Inside, when using the disc utility, it shows disk1 and Mac OS X base, as well as "4.14 GB ST_M13FQBL Media." The only external drive I've ever used is a 3 TB Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive, but it was not plugged in when the computer crashed (which prompted the Internet Recovery).

I should not that other start-up command prompts don't work (i.e. holding shift, command+r, option, etc.)

The question:

Could the Mac HD be misrepresented as "4.14 GB ST_M13FQBL Media" and if so, how do I go about rectifying this?

The goal:

Ultimately, I would like to salvage the data not backed up on my Seagate.

I'm happy to provide any pertinent information that I forgot to mention. Thanks for your help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe the ST_M13FQBL thing is what Seagate drives do when they've failed or are starting to fail. It appears that your internal drive is failing or is dead.

3. asr525 thread starter macrumors newbie

So is there a reason that the Seagate External would show up despite not being plugged in at the time the MacBook failed nor when I ran the Disk Utility?

Sorry if I missed something; just trying to make heads or tails of why it's there and the Mac HD is not.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your external drive is not showing up. Your internal drive is a Seagate drive and it is dead.